Italian Stuffed Leg Of Lamb Recipe
This month’s recipe of the month comes from one of our villa chefs in Umbria, Lorena Autuori. Lorena has lived in Umbria for 26 years, moving from Salerno where she was born. She had been working as a teacher up until 2010 when she joined ALMA, the international cooking school, turning professional in 2012. Since then she has features in various magazines and cookery programmes, whilst also holding cookery lessons in the garden of her own villa. She specialises in pasta and vegetable dishes, as well as the recipe she has shared with us, for a stuffed leg of lamb.
Lorena cooks for CV Villa guests staying at Ripa Blanca, in case you want to check out her recipes first hand. Find out more information about our villas with a cook service, or try you hand at some more recipes in our blog.
Recipe for Stuff leg of Lamb
Ingredients for 6 to 8 people
- 1 boneless leg of lamb, around 1,500g
- 200g of fresh sausages
- 100g pancetta (bacon)
- 100gr Parma ham
- 1 stale piece of bread
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 bunch of parsley
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 glass of vin santo
- 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese
- 4 amaretti macaroons, crushed
- 1 egg yolk, 1 egg
Ingredients for cooking
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ½ Onion
- 1 carrot
- 4 glass of broth
- Soften the breadcrumbs with milk and discard excess milk.
- Chop the bacon with ham and place in a large bowl.
- Add chopped sausage, softened breadcrumbs, chopped parsley, grated lemon zest, crushed amaretti, beaten eggs, vin santo, grated parmesan cheese, a pinch of nutmeg powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix all together into a coarse paste.
- Open the meat, spread paste into the center, close and tie well with string.
- Brown the meat in melted butter in a large covered roasting pan.
- Add the broth, sliced onions and carrots.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Remove the meat from the pan to rest on a plate, remove the vegetables from the pan, blend them, return to the pan and mix with cooking juice to make a gravy.
- Slice the lamb and serve with the gravy.