American Key Lime Pie Recipe
On a recent trip to America, Product Manager Kathryn, Villa Specialist Lizzie and Senior Product Manager Chrissie said they were very impressed by the luxurious level of new properties added to our portfolio.
They visited some lovely beaches, including Engelwood (pictured below) and sampled the regions favourite dessert - Key Lime Pie - at a number of spots along the coast - namely Lock and Key near the beach in Englewood and Sharky's on the Pier.
Inspired by their recent travels, we decided to share a recipe for this popular dessert for you to try at home.
Key lime pie
- • 300g Digestive biscuits
• 150g butter, melted
• 1 x 397g can condensed milk
• 3 medium egg yolks
• finely grated zest and juice of 4 limes
• 300ml double cream
• 1 tbsp icing sugar
• extra lime
• zest, to decorate
How to make your own florida key lime pie
1. Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
2. Put the biscuits into a strong plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin (or pop in a food processor.)
3. Mix with melted butter and press into the base of a 22cm round tin.
4. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Then remove and cool.
5. Put 3 medium egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk briskly for a minute.
6. Add a can of condensed milk and whisk for another 3 minutes
7. Add finely grated lime zest and juice of 4 limes, then whisk again for 3 minutes.
8. Pour the pie filling on top of the now cooled base, then put in the oven for 15 minutes.
9. Once cool, pop in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight if you like to chill.
10. To decorate, softly whip together 300ml double cream and 1 tbsp icing sugar. Dollop the cream onto the top of the pie and finish with a little bit of extra lime zest.
If a recipe is not enough to satisfy your American appetite, browse our collection of villas in Florida.